Search This Blog

May 24, 2011

Mighty Mantras

Over the past weekend I had the opportunity to attend a weekend long yoga workshop. This 2 day training consisted of an entire afternoon spent on the use of affirmations, intentions, and mantras.

As part of this learning process, we all had to pick a personal mantra/affirmation and write it on a piece of paper. Some of my fellow yoginis came up with one quickly, others took some time to think about it.
 When we were all ready, we placed our mantras on the floor, at the top of our mats.

My mantra: I breathe in love.

Then we did a 30 minute practice.

And it was... WOW.

I have done practices where a teacher has started us off by setting an intention. I have pushed my way through some gruesome Utkatasana (chair pose) by chanting some good old motivational affirmations (just a few more breaths, you are strong enough!, this is the most comfy chair- ever!). 

But I have never used a visual mantra with my practice. In this exercise, with each inhale I repeated my mantra. With each face to the top of my mat, I saw my mantra.

The result was breathtaking. I finished the short practice with such an exhilaration. I was connected like never before to the universe. the room. my mat. my self.

And guess what?
I WAS love!
Using a mantra and visually seeing it with each movement during yoga can really expand and enhance your practice.

Here are some guidelines for creating or using mantras during your practice (and life!):
  • Make your mantra a statement of a positive effect, result, or of a future event that you would like to achieve.  
  • Word it in the present tense using positive verbiage and wordage.  
  • Create patterns of repetition in saying your mantra out loud many times during your practice, daily, or weekly. 
  • Use a creative visual of your mantra to lock in the effects of the affirmation in your mind and your body.
  • Be open (and amazed) to feel the vibrancy and the expansion of that affirmation. 
What are some of the mantras you use during practice or daily life?
 

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome!! love ur mantra.
    i usually tell myself "you're strong, you're powerful" when trying to push myself (in my daily practice and daily life like studying and running).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i breathe in love" --- i love this and plan on applying this to my practice... i can already imagine how i will feel after a class. thanks for this! <3

    ReplyDelete